Quitting Dip

I think the words chew and dip are somewhat interchangeable, but I never used the word can.

I actually never once heard someone call it  a can. Just trying to imagine someone saying "pick me up a can" or "have you seen my can", are you guys saying people actually use that term?

Get me a chew. Get me a dip. Get me a tin. Get me a lipper.

If someone asked e to pick them up a can, I'd ask "of what?"

Can of dip/chew/cope.

Give me a dip.

Do you have a chew.

Mom to me when I was 10, "I better never catch you with that chewing tobacco stuffed in your lip making you look like a half wit." Smart lady but I already had a can of skoal in my sock.

Called it Dip or a can growing up. In college I lived with 3 South Dakotans who refered to it as chew. Never heard tin until I came to these sites.

I never heard of tin until I came here.  I usually write 'tin' now.  Usually they call it chewing tobacco at facilities I work in, but we always said dip, or if you had one in and someone offered you a cookie or something, I'd say "thanks anyway, but I have a load in".  

I never heard of tin until I came here.  I usually write 'tin' now.  Usually they call it chewing tobacco at facilities I work in, but we always said dip, or if you had one in and someone offered you a cookie or something, I'd say "thanks anyway, but I have a load in".  

If I heard you had a load in, I would think you had a dump in your pants, not a turd in your lip.

• Like 1
  • HaHa 1

In the navy I ran into "dip" and "a can of dip" almost universally.  Regardless of what your private regional term was people asked others if they had a can of dip on them.  And asked to bum a dip.  Happened everywhere I was stationed.  At home near the Alabama border it was usually called "cope."  Just like everyone in that area drinks "coke."  

"Hey man, got any cope on ya?"

"Yessum"

"Aight, what kind ya got?"

"Kodiak long cut.."

etc.  Akin to asking if you want a coke to drink and telling you we have pepsi, 7-up etc.

In the navy I ran into "dip" and "a can of dip" almost universally.  Regardless of what your private regional term was people asked others if they had a can of dip on them.  And asked to bum a dip.  Happened everywhere I was stationed.  At home near the Alabama border it was usually called "cope."  Just like everyone in that area drinks "coke."  

"Hey man, got any cope on ya?"

"Yessum"

"Aight, what kind ya got?"

"Kodiak long cut.."

etc.  Akin to asking if you want a coke to drink and telling you we have pepsi, 7-up etc.

Kinda like how my area of the country calls soda, "pop?"

I had never heard of it referred to as a can until I joined a quit site.  Similar to Lipi, if I heard someone ask for my can, I would assume they wanted to bone me.

And afterward, you would have a load in

• 2 weeks later...

Shorty, referring to it as a bump was popular in the rodeo circles. " hey_____, give me a bump".

Doc, there were several of the other bumps going around those circles back in the day, but I mainly kept to my beer and whiskey.

Never used the term sleeve or roll, we always bought "Logs".

For the last several years of chewing, I would only purchase my tins of Kodiak one tin at a time rather than saving some money by buying them in a log.

Why? Because I desperately wanted to quit. I didn't want to admit to myself that I would not only finish that tin, but also another one after it. Let alone another nine. 

But in all that time of wanting to quit, I never took any positive steps toward quitting.

Yes, sometimes I would try to downshift by buying Skoal. I didn't like it (not strong enough to give me my fix) so I figured I would do it less and taper off. That never worked. Sometimes when I was thinking about trying to quit chewing, I would buy a hundred bucks worth of lozenges, or the gum, or the patch. I never knew that these NRT ("nicotine replacement therapies") are a lie. Although they might make your gums or your lungs feel better for a while, you never address the root problem. The addiction. You can't beat an addiction by feeding the addiction, regardless of whichever vehicle (Dip, smoking, NRT) is delivering you your nicotine. Every single person reading this knows- its just a matter of time before that patch gets torn off on a bad day. "Fuck the patch! I need a real chew. I'll go back to the patch tomorrow." But tomorrow gets pushed back, and within a few days, or even a few hours, you're right back to full blown nicotine bender.

The only way to really quit is cold turkey. I know because I was in a constant state of "trying to quit" for about 20 years, but never took the real leap that would save my life. Not until I found support through other quitters. But what about that bad day, where you "need a chew"? You don't. We lean on each other in the hard times. We have learned that rather than solving problems, nicotine was our biggest problem. And a fatal one. 394 days quit this morning. Cold Turkey. With my bros. Fuck you Kodiak. Not another log. Not another tin. Not another pinch. Never.

• Like 4

Usually we did it like we do with soft drinks (everything is Coke) and just called it a can of snuff. I had never really heard it referred to as a tin, or lipper, or anything like that before. We got a pinch of snuff, can of snuff, got a dip, that kind of thing.

And for what it is worth, I would likely Google "quit dipping".

• 5 years later...

I always called it dip. Chew is Levi Garrett and Redman, to me. I have noticed that people from outside of the Southeast called it chew, but that never made sense to me. Pop and soda have the same kind of regional slang. In the South, we call carbonated soft drinks such as Coca-Cola and Mtn Dew soda. In the Midwest, they call those drinks pop. Both terms make sense.

• 2 months later...

Called it chew, tins and logs in MN growing up. Didn’t hear dip until I moved to the south for college and been calling it dip and cans cause the dealers in the c stores didn’t know what a fucking tin was.

i dipped 22 odd years and I only bought one log. I was 16 went in on it with a friend it was rooster...we used to say throw in a fuckkkkkrooooost...and play golden eye. I was always going to stop after that last purchase...I’d buy two at a time typically.

Chaw, chawspit, or the old two Point conversion, and it’s making me sick thinking about it! Yuck I hate that shit.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Lipid who noted that I would dip or have a dip but would ask to borrow a pinch of chew.

My buddy called it chaw. I always thought chew didn't make sense since you don't actually chew it like you might with loose leaf. 

I called the container a can o Grizz.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Please fill in your quit date here.