Quitting Dip

These were some of my old standards-
1. I just can't say no to myself. I love myself too much to deny myself. 
2. I won't be able to function at work without it.
3. What if I kill someone from road rage trying to drive without it?
4. I won't be able to control the time of day I shit without it, and can't use public toilets. .

5. I enjoy chewing.... Swallowing spit, spitter maintenance, brown teeth... Huh

6. It helps me focus and get shit done.

7. Won't function at work without it. (oddly enough I had my best sales year ever the year I quit)

8. Softball isn't softball without dip.

9. Fishing isn't the same without dip.

10. Hunting isn't the same...

11. Video games arent the same...

12. I need to unwind

13. Stressful day need to relax.

14. One more before bed

15.I deserve it, just one

16. Smoking doesn't count...

I especially like Lipi's # 4. 8:00 AM was money back in the day. I also resemble every one of Fiz's 16 points. If confrontation with the spouse arose, I would steer away from excuses and just lie. Not about using, but I would tell her it was just this once and she caught me. I would tell her I must not be good at keeping things from her because she catches me every time I use.

My #1 reason is because I (sometimes) have a stressful job.   Her response was "so I don't chew to relieve stress".  Then I learned I do have a stressful job, but I don't need to kill myself every day because being dead or not having a jaw is worse.

I also learned what an addict is, and how my lies effect everyone around me.

I enjoy dipping...you want me to stop something I enjoy? How dare you.

Why quit the only bad habit I have?

I was dipping when you met me...it didn't stop you from hanging around.

I can't handle my stressful job without it

All the umpires do it.

I grew up on a tobacco farm...I'm just supporting the family business

It's not that bad of a habit.

You smoke and that shit smells worse than dip

• Like 1

I need closure before I quit, I need to finish this can.

Today is not a good day for me to quit

Next week I'll be hanging out with some guys that chew, there is no point in quitting before then.

I had a terrible day today, I need this or I'll just be a mess.

Wow, reading these stories is like a trip down memory lane.  I can relate to each in some way, shape, or form.  I would also bet that everyone of us can relate to each other's story the way I can.  This is why we are not special butterflies.  We are all addicts and because of that we are all one in the same.

My #1 reason for not quitting was because of my love affair with nicotine.  I was one of those who "enjoyed" throwing in a dip for long drives, watching TV, mowing the lawn, or whatever mundane activity I so chose.  Mundane activities turned into everything and I found ways to do everything alone so that I could dip or if I couldn't be alone I would ninja dip.  I thought I loved it and enjoyed it.  That was until the health scares came knocking and I realized that (metaphorically), she didn't love me the same way.  Sure I knew of the risks, but never had a symptom, until now.  Anxiety, fear, depression, paranoia all set in.  I spent about $6,000 in medical fees to meet with ENT doctors, have a brain MRI, and a number of nasopharyngeal scopes to finally rule out that I did not have cancer.  Turns out anxiety was the cause of most of my issues.  Ironic...I used to think that nicotine helped me with anxiety.  

Today, my love affair with nicotine has ended in full on divorce.  I hate her with everything I got. I hate her.  I HATE NICOTINE.  I HATE DIP.  I AM FREE and I AM HEALTHY!

• Like 3

Agreed with Steakbomb.  I can identify with every perspective here, and this is tough to read--because it's raw truth.  A 10-year hypocrite, was I.  Here are a few of the lies I told myself. 

1. My oldest isn't old enough to know what it is.

2. My second oldest isn't old enough to know what it is. 

3. My youngest isn't old enough to know what it is. 

4. I've never won a bass tournament without it. 

5. It makes bourbon taste excellent (though I quit that about 5 years ago)

6. Best dessert.  Ever. 

7. My heroes at the firehouse always throw one in after a big run.  I'm a hero too.

8. Job is stressful.  More stressful than anybody's who doesn't use. 

9. My father in law (before dying in June) chewed his whole life so my wife doesn't give me hell for it. 

10. I concentrate better with it (which was technically true in comparison to the first 30 days of my quit).

11. I grew up working tobacco fields for family and friends.  They'd judge me (and they did).

1) I've "quit" plenty of times before, so clearly I can do it -- the only reason I started using again is because I chose to. 

2) Nicotine addiction runs in my family -- my grandfather smoked a pack of Reds until the day he died of old age.  It's basically my birthright. 

3) Some of my closest teammates from college still dip today, just like when we started hanging out freshman year.  If they're still doing it, too, then I didn't miss a memo somewhere along the way. 

4) Cancer from dipping / smoking only happens to other, more stupid people.  Not me, or those close to me. 

5) I floss and brush my teeth religiously.  Therefore, I cannot get mouth cancer, despite a tin-a-day "habit". 

6) The dentist didn't find anything on the semi-annual cancer check.  Never mind that I didn't tell him that I've been dipping for nearly 20 years. 

7) How dare you question how stressful my life is that it requires a nearly constant dip in my mouth? 

8) The more you nag me about quitting, the less inclined I am to give it serious consideration.  Because I am always right. 

9) How am I supposed to reward myself after I complete a task as complex as starting a movie to watch? 

10) How am I supposed to comfort myself when I'm having an off-day? 

• Like 1

I never gave any excuses. I was an unrepentant asshole about it.  The only issues were with making sure she didn't have to deal with the spitters.  That was the main issue with her.  When I actually quit, it wasn't easy.  Probably because I knew it was final. She said I should wait until some magical date where quitting would be easy for both of us.  I just doubled down on KTC, much to the chagrin of many of my Mayhem 1.0 compatriots.  I railed like nobody's business.  Tough times, but t least I learned to not take dip related stuff out on her.

I hope this answers your questions AJK.

• Like 1

Yep. So funny to me that for all those years so many other people around the country are having the same argument with themselves, the same excuses & the same self doubts in the back of their minds.

For me, it was my mouth, my choice. Whenever a buddy would mention that I should stop, I'd immediately throw in another one....."Thanks for the opinion, when I want to hear from an asshole, I'll fart"....

I played better golf, helped me stay calm & focused...

I'm not one of those people that can go on a long drive without it.

If I stop, I'll get fat........Vain asshole

I'll quit when I'm ready, but it's the only bad thing I do

It's just who I am.

This whole thing was kind of a freaky exercise because I had locked up that portion of my brain & to rummage through those dumb ass excuses again showed how fucking stupid I was.

I quit because I realized it wasn't my choice, I was owned by some stupid weed. Just like my friends weren't going to tell me to quit, some dickhead at US Tobacco wasn't going to tell me to keep going....but every one of y'all is the reason that I've posted another +1 today.

• Like 2

Every time I read someone else's it jars loose some more in the same genre-

- I will never quit when I'm being pressured. You know that every time you nag me, it just makes me extend the time I will be doing this shit, just because that is the kind of guy I am.

[if some stranger told me I was going to get cancer I would say something like this in a really grateful voice....] - Are you serious? Holy shit, I've been doing this for decades, and I've never heard that before. Thanks SO much for telling me, you just saved my life.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I was more like RD. I did lie to myself although not consciously.

I didn't want to quit.

I liked chewing,

The odds were against me getting cancer. After all, look at all the old chewers.

• 9 months later...
On February 14, 2015 at 3:03:06 AM, Grady said:

One of my most notorious responses when my wife would start bitching at me about seeing our daughter grow up and me dying from cancer. I would respond with, "I work in a fuckin prison, dying from chewing is the least of my worries."

"I quit drinking, what more do you want from me"

'My dad chewed for over 50 years, he never got cancer"

I rode the "I quit drinking.." excuse for 20 years. I allowed myself to have one vice because I was such a bad ass for not drinking. 

Edited by monkey

• 2 years later...

Mannnn all of these get me.

i can’t fish without dip? Fishing would be boring without it

i can’t drive for 8 hours without a dip? What kind of shit is that!

this is my last can/pinch, just one more and I’m done.

ive had a long stressful day, i gotta unwind with a fat chaw

BUT MY WORST

If i don’t take a dip, i won’t overcome my panic attack. (Straight up have myself convinced that dip is as good as anxiety medicine)

Fuck all these lies, I’m putting them behind me. I’m quit now. Fuck the plant.

• Like 2
  • The Clap 3

6 minutes ago, Jfrank said:

BUT MY WORST

If i don’t take a dip, i won’t overcome my panic attack. (Straight up have myself convinced that dip is as good as anxiety medicine)

Walk the walk and talk the talk. Open the curtains and let some sun shine in. Time to quit being a sneaky ass piece of shit addict. Keep reading.

The dip is the one causing the anxiety you need to relieve by dipping. A perfect circle of addiction.

Edited by monkey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jfrank said:

BUT MY WORST

Stay around and get to know us. I experience periodic anxiety and you have my word that nicotine does not help it. It is an illusion. Nicotine is standing in your way from truly resolving the source of what causes you anxiety.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

A lot of these get me, especially driving and fishing.

A few of my old excuses:

1. Have to stay on schedule!  Been an hour since last dip, time to put another in!
  2. You know you hate traffic, how will you deal with your commute without it?  
  3. It only takes 10 minutes to eat lunch and you have a hour lunch break, what else would I do?
  4. Dip makes _________ better/tolerable/easier.

It's funny when you look at these from an objective perspective - they're all dumb but they were what my brain was saying lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thnmp said:

A lot of these get me, especially driving and fishing.

A few of my old excuses:

1. Have to stay on schedule!  Been an hour since last dip, time to put another in!
  2. You know you hate traffic, how will you deal with your commute without it?  
  3. It only takes 10 minutes to eat lunch and you have a hour lunch break, what else would I do?
  4. Dip makes _________ better/tolerable/easier.

It's funny when you look at these from an objective perspective - they're all dumb but they were what my brain was saying lol.

Said all these and many more. It’s funny how after quitting I realized everything in the entire world is better, more tolerable and easy without dip. Great perspective on your fresh quit

• 2 months later...

Had a argument with a smoker yesterday who kept saying that she quit smoking although she was sucking on a cancer stick as we talked. She wouldn’t hear of it until I convinced her by saying “if you truly quit, you wouldn’t be smoking that right now”. Stopping is to quitting as habit is to addiction. 

• Like 6

• 7 months later...

I have found that the smarter you are the harder it is to quit because you always logic your way to convince you it's good to do anything you want to do. That was something pointed out by my AA friend 

For me it was either "well so and so has done it more often than me for 50 years and no cancer." The other was "ah well I'm so stressed and I can't drink or smoke weed in the middle of the day so here you are." When really there is any number amount of thing one can do to relieve stress. I think just stopping and focusing on something else can help. That is why dip came in because it was a convenient distraction that also provided a high. If the trigger is stress and the action is dipping and the reward is distraction, you change what the action is to a different distraction (I have a 4'x7' world map in my office that I zone out on for 10 or so minutes).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maggs said:

I have found that the smarter you are the harder it is to quit because you always logic your way to convince you it's good to do anything you want to do. That was something pointed out by my AA friend

The person trying to make dip into a good thing, is not smart.

• The Clap 2

Im a nicotine addicted dumbass because I was too smart to get the simplicity of integrity, brotherhood and accountability?

I can relate and I gotta say it embarrases me to admit it now. Ole wise king sneaky dumbass with his book of excuses and cans of whatever it is they actually put in dip.

You want Quit? Read read read. Post scroll, participate, repeat and dont be a pussy.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Guest Random Quitter said:

I can always quit when I want.

I will do it tomorrow for sure.

One is true,  one sounds like bullshit from an anonymous dude scared to pull the trigger.  

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Guest Random Quitter said:

I can always quit when I want.

I will do it tomorrow for sure.

The indignant wail of the ball-less.  Heard it before.  

• Like 1
  • HaHa 2

Please fill in your quit date here.