Quitting Dip
Sign in to follow this  
Guest theory

Quitting with patches - Help

Guest theory

I've been chewing a can a day for the better part of a decade. I've tried to quit a handful of times over the years.

I tried to quit cold turkey once and it was miserable as I was left in a complete fog and could not effectively perform tasks at work. Needless to say, I went back to the can.

I tried to use the gum once but the results were not what I expected. Each time I put a piece of gum in my mouth I would feel negative effects from it within 5 minutes. I would start sweating, my stomach would feel uneasy my hands would get shaky and I literally felt like I had a bit of a buzz... something I haven't gotten from chew in over 5 years. So scratch that method.

That brings us to the patches which I've used a couple times to try and quit. They say a can a day is the equivalent of 2 packs of cigarettes so that would easily land me in the category of needing 21mg patches. However, within a half hour of wearing a 21mg patch, I had the same negative effects as using the gum. It just seems too strong. So I switched to the "Step 2" patches with 14mg and that seemed to be a much more comfortable level. After a week of wearing them, I went back to the can. I have no idea why.

Now I'm trying to quit again, more determined than ever. I started with the 14mg patches this time. Now it's day 4 and an hour after I put the patch on, suddenly I feel sweaty and shaky again and like I have a slight buzz. I seriously feel like it's too strong but I don't want to downgrade to the 7mg patches already because I feel like they won't be strong enough to keep me from wanting to dip. Has anyone had a similar experience? Advice?

Get rid of the patches, man up and post day 1 on the Plebe scroll.  The first couple days will be rough (you know that already) but it will get better.  You will have 60 hours stopped by the time Monday morning rolls around.

Once you buy into this method, you will learn how to be quit.  You won’t go though this alone like in your past.  

2 hours ago, Guest theory said:

Needless to say, I went back to the can.

This is what happens to every bitch.

Don't worry, we were all bitches by ourselves. 

Get an account, find your ball sack. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Get advice. You'll be fine. You're not special. 

65 days ago I thought cold turkey was impossible.  It’s not. You’re tougher than you think.  Nothing worth having comes easy.  Hope to see you on scroll. 

We only advocate cold turkey quit here. It appears from your statements that you have already determined this method will not work for you.

If you can get past that and follow the advice offered by guys that know what they are talking about you will succeed. 

Feeding your body nicotine to quit using nicotine may work for some but for me it was always about knowing I would fail again and get back to stuffing my lips with whatever it is they put in chewing tobacco and my addiction.

So, there is no advice here regarding all those methods that you've already failed at.

Now is the time to quit and remain quit. Stop wasting your time, health, money and head space on this addiction. 

Will it suck for a few days? Yep. Can you get past it. Yep.

Edited by monkey

My introduction on this website is “tired of the tricks.” I named it that because of exactly how it sounds. I feel like I tried every “method” of quitting that is out there. Through this site I have come to realize that there is one method that works. Cold turkey. It sucks ass at first but once you get through that fog, you’re on top of the world and these guys (and gals) are awesome and can help you get through that. Another great thing I’ve learned here is how to truly defeat my cravings. Once an addict always an addict. But you don’t have to always be addicted. All great journeys begin with the first step. Post to the scroll with us, throw those patches out and let’s get through this first week together. 

We were all looking for that crutch to make quitting easier. Well, there are two.

Knowledge is the first one. If you know what to expect you can deal with it. We can educate you in what will happen to help you be successful.

The second secret weapon is support. There is strength in numbers. Also, hearing that others have gone through the same thing and won lets you realize that you can do it as well.

The enemy is nicotine. Patches have nicotine. Therefore, their use only prolongs the usage and does nothing to start your quit.

Please fill in your quit date here.
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this