Quitting Dip

Quit Dipping Timeline

Owl

Want to know what to expect?  Post your questions here and get answers.

You're ready to quit chewing tobacco for good, but you've tried before and failed.  Maybe you've made it a week, or a month, and probably felt tormented with thoughts about chew the entire time.

I know I did.  Now I've been quit for several years, but I still remember day 1.

Quitting nicotine is not fun, it's not for the weak, but you can do it...we ALL did.  We were right where you are right now.  We quit, you can too.

The first few days are rough, I'm not gonna lie.  Symptoms are different for everyone, but everything from sleeping, to eating, to your mood, and everything in between will be affected. 

But that's really it - just a few days.  Three to five days of physical withdrawal is all you have to endure.

After that it's a head game, which is where we come in - accountability plus brotherhood will make it stick.

Then you're FREE.  I can't tell you how glorious it is to be free.  I started chewing when I was 15, I thought I'd have a can I my pocket or my bag forever.  I thought I was too weak to quit.  The freedom from that noxious weed is so wonderful and powerful.

One of the best things is never thinking about it anymore.  I'm vaguely aware of it when I see it in passing, but it certainly doesn't dominate my every waking thought like it used to.  I thought if I quit I'd always miss it.  I don't.  Not at all.  I hate it, but it has no power over me anymore.  Turns out it never did...

So - first few days.  Drink lots of water, exercise, sleep, eat right, get ready to win.

What questions do you have?

• Like 1
  • The Clap 3

Guest Dan72

how long will it take my mouth to heal?  i used to switch sides and one side would heal but now it just feels raw all the time.  i tried pouches but there so tiny i need like 5.  anyone tried gum or patches to take a break from dip? i will quit eventually but not yet.

10 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

how long will it take my mouth to heal?  i used to switch sides and one side would heal but now it just feels raw all the time.  i tried pouches but there so tiny i need like 5.  anyone tried gum or patches to take a break from dip? i will quit eventually but not yet.

Quit and find out how long it takes. Using 5 pouches sounds foolish, quit and you will never have to say things like that again. We do not use gum or patches here, this is a cold turkey zero nicotine only site all the way.

• Like 2

Guest Dan72

i tried cold turkey once but it didn't work for me.  i want to quit but can't right now i have to much going on at work and in life in general.  why is the gum so bad? i just want my mouth to stop hurting all the time.

You can't quit dipping by using a different form of nicotine. Your gums might feel better for a while, (until the inevitable switch back to dip, if you try to stopping chewing tobacco that way) but you're maintaining the same level of nicotine in your body. Weaning sucks too, dude. Why drag out withdrawal for 10 weeks, when you can get that shit behind you in 5 days? Plus, acting like nicotine is in charge is no way to quit dipping. Even if you're scared right now, start making decisions like you have a pair of testicles, and your mind will follow your actions and words. Take ownership of your life.

• Like 2
  • The Clap 1

Cold turkey quitting is the one and only thing we do here. I got hand-foot-mouth disease once, had 5 dime-size canker sores that hurt a lot, I still dipped while having them and I didn't quit even for a month after that - that was 4 and a half years ago. Dipping makes every aspect of your life harder, not easier, it's hard to see that from the other side. Gum is bad because nicotine is bad. Quit is good.

Guest Dan72

Geez its not about "my life".  my life is fine.  its just dip that's bugging my mouth right now. i can quit anytime, i just don't want to right now.  ill use gum to let my mouth heal. maybe i will quit soon.

13 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

Geez its not about "my life".  my life is fine.  its just dip that's bugging my mouth right now. i can quit anytime, i just don't want to right now.  ill use gum to let my mouth heal. maybe i will quit soon.

Geez Dan,

The reality is you don't want to and you probably won't. Good luck. Your life isn't fine or you wouldn't be asking these questions and making excuses.

Look in the mirror and repeat what you said above. 

Did you want cold turkey to work for you? 

Lots and lots of addicts out there repeating the lies you are. If you didn't know that might I recommend browsing Reddit and other forums. 

You just wanted an answer to a question right? 

Edited by monkey
  • Like 1

You might act like you're being pressured to quit dipping right now... But you're not. We actually don't give a fuck about you, until you quit dipping. Then you're one of us. We can't pressure you, because we don't know you. And that's the way this works. You will never be able to quit dipping until you're ready to quit dipping for you. 

• The Clap 1

Guest Dan72

no one even answered my question, you just immediately jumped down my throat about quitting dip right now this instant.  dont give a fuck about me?  nice "support center". everyone who ever comes here with a simple question must jump right in with support like this. i know this sounds stupid but i actually like dip.  i like how it makes me feel and it just kind of makes everything better. its hard to explain. you obviously never felt that way.

33 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

Go do this.  When you fail, come back and we'll show you how to quit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

i know this sounds stupid but i actually like dip.

We all thought this, dumbass.  You're not special.  Sign-up and QUIT.

• The Clap 2

22 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

no one even answered my question, you just immediately jumped down my throat about quitting dip right now this instant.  dont give a fuck about me?  nice "support center". everyone who ever comes here with a simple question must jump right in with support like this. i know this sounds stupid but i actually like dip.  i like how it makes me feel and it just kind of makes everything better. its hard to explain. you obviously never felt that way.

I've been you Dan. You aren't special. What was your question again? Can I replace one nicotine with another so my mouth feels better? Short term maybe yes. That the answer you were looking for?

We are a quit site and you are spouting your undying loyalty to your addiction? Are we suppose to commiserate with that? No thanks, Dan. My life wasn't ok as a dip addict. Never going back, Dan.

Yeah Dan, that statement about rainbows coming out our  butts because we put yummy mint flavored cancer into our bodies 24/7 sounded stupid. It is, at least we can agree on that one as one of the many stupid things we addicts say.

Edited by monkey
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

Dan, you just said you didn't want to quit, have you changed your mind? Much like coffee is for closers, support is for quitters. If you decide to quit let's talk.

Guest Dan72

y'all are some interesting folk ill give you that.  its just dip fellas not oxy or meth.  i know plenty of men who dipped till they were were 80 and never had mouth cancer.  i also know plenty of people who just quit one day when they felt like it.  im going to take a break and use the gum to let my mouth heal a bit.  thanks i guess.

25 minutes ago, Guest Dan72 said:

i know plenty of men who dipped till they were were 80 and never had mouth cancer

And everyone of them was a slave to a weed right up until they died in their eighties. 

I have more control over my life than you or fucking grandpa. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Owl said:

Well, this thread was a spectacular success.

This is what is rampant across all of these forums. People wanna hear what they wanna hear until they are ready to quit.

I played all these games for years. Whatever excuses it takes to not man up and quit.

Dan here already has all the answers he needs to continue consuming nicotine. 

April showers bring spring flowers and butterflies.

• Like 1

Gotta make your mind up for yourself Dan. I used for 17 years and I've been quit for 5 days ... I can honestly say that you have no idea how INCREDIBLY life changing of a decision it is live the QUIT life ... and these guys will help us , but they don't put up with pussy snowflake bullshit. Don't expect apologies and platitudes 

• Like 1
  • 'Murica 1
  • I'd Hit It 1
  • The Clap 4

24 minutes ago, Tee said:

Gotta make your mind up for yourself Dan. I used for 17 years and I've been quit for 5 days ... I can honestly say that you have no idea how INCREDIBLY life changing of a decision it is live the QUIT life ... and these guys will help us , but they don't put up with pussy snowflake bullshit. Don't expect apologies and platitudes 

Great post, Tee.  Well said.

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, ALFarmer said:

So, I'm currently on quit day 3. Supposedly the peak of the withdrawal. My question is how long does the insomnia last for the ones that had gotten it? 

I believe it's different for everyone. Regardless, sleeping means little compared to quitting. Everything gets better with quit.

If you're in day 3 you have blue skies ahead. Double down and get on scroll. Once your quit instead of stop life gets good 

• Q for Quit 2

Here's the deal,  @ALFarmerinsomnia sucks.  (I had it.) But it's temporary. One of the things that causes it when you're quitting is that you've got a debate going on in your head,  and it's at 1000 decibles.... one part of you is desperate to quit, the other part of you is telling you it's impossible. You can't relax and act like a normal person while that debate is going on distracting you.  Stop thinking about it.  It's not impossible.  WE are the evidence.  But you're trying to do it alone.  Put your name on the scroll.  Start an intro.  And stop listening to the whiny bitch who thinks quitting is too hard.  That guy is a huge pussy. Being a slave is hard.  

• Like 2
  • Q for Quit 3

• 1 month later...
Please fill in your quit date here.