Quitting Dip

Quitting Dip on Monday, October 14, 2019

NotSloth

All of the members here quit dipping using the same process, through the accountability offered by this website, and quitting dipping cold turkey. The following was written recently by a member of Quitting Dip.

If you quit dipping, you may or may not have dodged the cancer bullet. We all danced with that shit, playing Russian Roulette with our lives. You can’t change history, but you can change the future. One day early in my quit,  I was sitting in the sauna after my workout and a guy comes in and packs a lip of Cope snuff, the same shit I used to use, and offered one to me. I told him I quit dipping, and he pulled up a picture on his phone of him with cancer on his lip that was taken out a month ago. He showed me where the 100 stitches were. He had gone back to dipping 10 days later. The dude's been dipping for 30+ years, and now he has to shave the inside of his lip because when the surgeon reconstructed his lip, he grafted in a piece of skin that grows hair.  He congratulated me on my quit.

Before I quit dipping, I was one of those guys who would pick up a can of dip at the gas station when stressful stuff was going on in my life, and hide it around my house. And life kept getting more and more stressful, and I found more and more reasons to buy one.  You and I are addicts. That means we understand one another. You are nothing but a sneaky ass deceptive nicotine addict man. Hide the can, find the can, sneak sneak sneak. You are not unique or special. The difference between you and I is that I am armed with the knowledge about how to quit dipping, and you are still in the grips of your addiction.

You are in the right place, and this is the time that you will succeed. This is not a habit; it is an addiction. Chewing your nails is a habit. The words we use to describe our addiction reflect where our heads are at. You are a nicotine addict, addicted to a substance that causes cancer. Your addict mind tells you that you love dip. It will tell you all kinds of lies to keep getting a fix. You don't love dip. We each have to go through that rewiring of the brain to quit dipping. Your brain is not trustworthy yet, so you've made an excellent decision finding a place where those with experience can help you figure it out.

Ask yourself if you've got what it takes to quit dipping. Too many guys are rolling through here and apparently not getting the message that nicotine will own your ass and has no problem with killing you. To find a method of quit that works then toss it away and go back is an unforgivable act. We want you to succeed, do you want to?  The first couple days are rough, but it does get better. Perhaps the tourists who get a taste of freedom and then go back to slavery were here for the wrong reasons. Get selfish and quit for yourself. You need to quit for you, not for anyone else. I started out being quit to help things with my wife, but then I asked myself… if something happened to my wife, what then? I am quit for me and stay quit for me, and my quit brothers are the same way.

• Like 1