Quitting Dip

Quitting Dip on Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019

NotSloth

All of the members here quit dipping using the same process, through the accountability offered by this website, and quitting dipping cold turkey. The following was written recently by a member of Quitting Dip. 

I built up to my quit date for a while…. lurking on this site from time to time.  Finally got the balls and made the decision to put myself out there and hold myself accountable, and make myself accountable to others... Making the decision to quit dipping freaked me out a bit.  I dipped for the last 15 years or so. About a can a day. Always coming back to it. I always said I'm going to quit dipping but the first sign of stress, or anything really, was used as an excuse to pick up another tin. I definitely needed something to keep me in line. This forum is that something.  I am free.

Yeah dipping is totally stupid and disgusting. It's sad to be addicted to something that you're embarrassed to be doing, but you still won't quit dipping. I heard so much shit over it from my family for years but I didn't care, my nicotine addiction was more important than my family.

I had to ninja dip around wife for years because she thought I'd already quit. Then she finally just accepted it and it was on after that. You know, I never considered myself an addict just because I dipped. Addicts are people addicted to drugs like heroin or pills these days, not a plant that local farmers grow and I grew up working in during summer to make money. I just didn't get it until I started reading stuff on here. Tobacco isn't portrayed as a drug elsewhere. Admitting to myself that I was an addict put things in perspective. Learning about addiction helps with the quitting dipping process. Yes, I'm an addict and wasted over 15 years of my life addicted to nicotine. I'm here to quit and stay quit .

I went through some crazy transitions during my early quit. Changed careers, bought a house, moved, had a third baby. All shit that was stressful. None of it was harder without dip. Quite the opposite. Fuck triggers. They are for people who think dip helps any situation. I fucking don't. Every new dude here will understand this, if they are willing to become bad mother fuckers like us. 

Personally, I made a conscious decision to just not use nicotine anymore, no matter what.  When you are certain about a life altering CHOICE like that, and add in the 100% of brotherhood and accountability you will receive at QuittingDip, you will have to willfully choose to use again.  There is no way of "slipping" or losing yourself in a moment. QD is 100% effective if you post your promise first thing daily and your word is honorable.  

Life got better for me when I quit dipping 17 months ago.  When you are bored, you should search out some Centurion speeches, and you'll get an idea of what roads we've been down.  You should read all those stories, because they all should resonate with you too. It helps to get a feel for each quitter and that helps with forging relationships.  

The good news is if you do the work and commit yourself to getting your self control back, you will be able to start over in life, no matter how old you are.  Just by being here and actively quitting dipping, it is a great start to the rest of your life. I quit with you today.

• Q for Quit 1