Quitting Dip

Quitting Dip on Thursday, December 5th, 2019

NotSloth

If you are looking for a quit dipping support group, all of the members here quit dipping using the same process, through the accountability offered by this website, and quitting dipping cold turkey. The following was written recently by a member of Quitting Dip.

When I was 44 years old with three children I was  a total slave to nicotine, with a can a day "habit".  I was sitting with my wife in a church at a friend's funeral. She was 40 years old with two kids, and a “light smoker” that just passed away from lung cancer.   As I watched her husband and two sons stand in front of everyone and talk… I don't remember what they were talking about… I was a mess in the back of that church thinking about what a spoiled, selfish piece of shit I was for continuing to poison myself. I looked at my wife and said, "I'm done. I am quitting dip."  "I can't do that to you and the kids."   I bought some fake chew and stopped… for about a week.  I even found a quitting dip support group website that talked about "accountability" and "quitting dipping one day at a time".  I looked around.  Read some stories and thought, "How can a website and people that I don't even know help me quit dipping?" One of the things I’ve learned since then is that you can’t quit dipping for someone else.  I used for another year at the same can a day clip. Every time I bought a can, I said,  "This is my last can." I felt more shame, anger and fear with every can I purchased.  I knew I had to quit dipping, but honestly did not believe I could.  I was sure I'd be dead in 10 years if I continued.   I took my last dip after dinner one night. I threw away the can and told my wife I was done.  She said, "Whatever.  Do it if you want."  I've told her I quit dipping so many times that there was no way she believed I would actually quit.  

Days later I was walking around my house completely confused and feeling like shit.  I couldn't focus or remember what I went into a room for.  I thought I was going crazy.  I searched for help online and found a quitting dip support group similar to the one I scoffed at.  Not this time.  I had nothing to lose so I dove in.  Read everything I could, started an intro, and started meeting quitters The support I received and continue to receive was overwhelming and still blows me away.  

Life is great as a quitter.  I don't think about dip very often and never romanticize about it. I have fucked a lot of things up in my life.  This will not be one of them. When we post on the scroll, we are giving our word not to use for the rest of the day. Sound a little hokey? Yeah, I didn't get it when I started either. It gives you something more to rely on than just willpower. It lets you share some of my willpower, and every other dude on this site. Because we don't dip anymore, and we don't want to. It is the last thing I want, because it will throw away hundreds of days of victory and freedom, just like if you quit dipping today and then use tomorrow you will throw away one of the three toughest days of the whole fucking process. What makes us different, besides posting every morning, is that we have overcome the mistaken belief that dip was helping you enjoy all those good times you’ve had in your life, or that it was  helping you get through some of the ordeals at other times. It wasn’t. Just keep this in your mind, NAFAR (NEVER again for ANY reason).

THE ONLY WAY TO QUIT DIPPING IS TO QUIT DIPPING COLD TURKEY. 

You might think that there are lots of ways to quit dipping, but there's not.  You are likely to be here after hundreds of aborted mini-attempts at quitting dipping. You can't quit dipping halfway. You also can't use nicotine replacement products. No vaping. No nicotine lozenges. No nicotine gum.  Why not? Because you can't quit nicotine by using a different form of nicotine. Why do you want to extend the length of time that you experience the withdrawal symptoms of quitting dipping anyway? Get it over with. Rip the band aid off. Put that shit in the rear view mirror.

When you are in the cycle of being desperate to quit dipping, but terrified of actually quitting, everything can seem overwhelming. Quitting dip is a lot easier than you think. It is all a mind game, and we know all the ways to win. If you are ready to quit, the best way to quit dipping cold turkey is to join this site, and start posting. 

Once you are a member you can start an introduction where you can tell the other members about yourself, or just get right to it and put your screen name and "Day 1" on the "Quit Scroll" with today's date. Just throw up a post somewhere, someone is going to see it, and help you learn how to quit dipping. You can also post below with questions or comments before you sign up. 

If you just about ready to pull the trigger but you're scared, stop being a pussy. There is a section in the support center full of posts encouraging guys like you to get in the game. We want to give you help to quit dipping, but you have to help yourself first. 

Edited by NotJamesGordon
  • Like 2