Quitting Dip

What to Expect when Quitting Dip Cold Turkey

QuitSpeak

Expect the unexpected, but it's not that big of a deal get over yourself. There's a transition period that many quitters find fairly chaotic for the first 3-5 days - drink water, read about quitting, read about quitting some more, read what quitters say, find out what it's like to have quit words come out of your mouth instead of dip juice dribble. I can tell you what the first days of my quit were like - day 1 ok this is a little weird; day 2 ok we're really doing this; day 3 freedom washing over me like amber waves of grain; day 4+ same - but you have to quit your own quit to know what your own quit is like. Forget expectation and commit to the transition - looking back to before I quit, honestly the expectations of that person weren't worth much.

• Like 2

The withdrawal symptoms of quitting dip really hit me hard for a few days. 

I had trouble sleeping. And by "trouble" I mean I had insomnia, and cold sweats if I managed to drift off for a little while. 

I had headaches, and was "foggy" as fuck. 

I don't recall being super irritable. Just count to 10 before you respond to anyone that is being a fucking idiot. 

But without a doubt, my biggest problem was the oral fixation. I fought this with a constant hard candy in my mouth. I used Sees candies butterscotch suckers. Some dudes liked red hots, or atomic fire balls, and I think that would have made more sense, but whatever. Just get something in your mouth. You don't need to deal with oral withdrawal along with the chemical withdrawal. I really recommend fake dip to quit dipping. I'll get to that later. 

I think my worst day was day 4 or 5, I can't even remember anymore. Because like pain, you don't really remember this shit vividly. It's just something you go through, and then it's over. You don't sit around with traumatic memories. You're not being raped by withdrawal. It's a dull discomfort. And then it's gone. There is some time distortion, and it seems like every minute of withdrawal is an hour. That's why it's important to try to stay busy. 

Work out. It burns time, and that nervous energy you can"t get rid of during withdrawal when you're quitting dipping. It makes you thirsty. The more water you drink, the faster this poison get's flushed out of your body. 

What happened around day 4 or 5 that made it not only the worst, but also the last bad days? I was obsessing about dip. I was fantasizing about having one. I wasn't quit yet. Then, a switch flipped. My attitude unfucked. Fuck you dip! Burning rage at the addiction. Also, I was probably just about done with the actual physical symptoms, so since I survived pushing through, every day got easier. Much easier. And I discovered fake chew. I mean, in previous attempts to quit dipping I had used Jakes, or Back off, or whatever. But that was my whole strategy at that point. Like, I'll put this fake shit in, and it will completely replace my addiction. Totally retarded. It doesn't do shit, and we all know it. 

BUT.... In combination with the method here... which is 100% effective if you have testicles, and pretty effective if you are a lady apparently... fake is awesome. 

• Like 4

I was mad at the world. My patience in traffic was zilch. I would call an old lady a motherfucker just for not getting off the line at a green light fast enough.

I didn’t take a dump for 8 or 9 days. I was beginning to be convinced that without dip, I might never bust a grumpy again. 

I used fake from day 1 on. It did a good job fooling my feeble ass mind. Completely took away all cravings. 

I ate like a pig. Swedish fish, skittles, pizzas, chips. I didn’t discriminate. I stuffed my face until i was too sick to want a dip.

Looking back, I should have exercised or drank a ton of water..... 

P.S. I crapped on day 9 or 10. Turns out I didn’t need dip. Then I started relishing conquering the firsts without dip. First time I didn’t have to sneak a dip at my kids concert or play. First time i played golf without dip, mowed the yard without dip, made the excuse that the car needed gas so I could drive around and dip.

Addicts are dumb but you don’t realize how truly fucking stupid you were until you become quit.

• Like 2
  • The Clap 1

for me I found quitting that the first few days I had trouble falling asleep, I think because I had been so used to a tobacco fix right before bed. And like Golf said, I couldn't poop for several days. Eating helped reduce cravings a lot and exercising. Also fake dip; I used "Back off". Whenever I thought about dip I would put a fake in and eventually it helped train me off of nicotine. But after the first week of quitting any symptoms were, for me, all mental. Just gotta take it one day at a time

• Like 3

Please fill in your quit date here.