Quitting Dip

Quitter Dentist Visit Stories

Pulled this out of my distinguished post history:

I fucking hate the dentist. I never used to when I was a kid, but ever since I started chewing on a regular basis it's like being in a torture chamber for a half hour. I dread it on the drive there. I dread it sitting in the parking lot trying to get the balls to walk in. I dread it with every step I take towards the door. I dread it sitting in the waiting room with my heart pounding while some elevator music plays over the intercom. I'm convinced every time that I open my mouth they're going to spot something wrong. I sit there while some crazy broad scrapes and stabs the ever-loving fuck out of my gums, convinced that it isn't supposed to hurt like that, and something is wrong. I can hear my fucking heart pounding in my ear the whole time I'm lying in that chair. It feels like the whole chair is moving with my heartbeat. Then the cleaning and scraping torture is finally over, and the dentist comes in. Shit, now I'm fucked. This crazy broad may not have seen it, but the dentist sure as shit will find something. The whole time I've been in this chair I curse myself inwardly for being such a stupid fucking moron and ever using chew. The dentist inspects my mouth, checks my gums, looks for cavities. Holy shit, how has he not said anything yet? Surely he found something by now. He checks my tongue. Nothing? For real? I'm free to go? Relief spreads from my head all the way to the tips of my toes. This must be what it feels like being released from prison after a ten-year sentence. 

I went to the dentist today for the second time since I quit, and I was still fucking paranoid even though I got a clean bill of health last time. This is the first time I've made it through consecutive dentist visits without chew in a long time, and I want to thank you all for keeping me here and keeping me honest. I'm so thankful that I got another clean bill of health. But seriously though, fuck the dentist.

• Like 1
  • The Clap 1

• 3 months later...

I went to get my teeth cleaned last Thursday as well, but I am still too scared to go see the Dentist. I just went to the local dental hygiene school and got them cleaned by this cute ass 20 something year old. Got to fuck around and flirt with her the whole time, so that part was enjoyable.

Anyways, turns out I have a few small cavities. Guess I'll go to the dentist to get this fixed and get a whole cancer screening. Seriously tho, fuck nicotine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my first of 4 visits to get fillings and work done today.  Let's just say, my fucking addiction has kept me from having an unappalachian smile for far too long.  I have a new feeling of confidence.  Unbelievable all the little things that quitting dip has affected in my life.  Damn it feels good to be quit.  I'm gonna hold on to this feeling so the next time I crave I can have some more ammunition to get rid of it.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Mine are alot better, but they say that you cannot regrow receding gums. Mine just look way healthier!

But I haven't come across anything about gum regrowth and coconut oil.  I just use it for general dental health and teeth whitening. 

http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Receding-Gums-Grow-Back.html

4. Coconut Oil

How it helpsCoconut oil has antimicrobial benefits, meaning it can help fight against bacteria and diseases. When used orally, coconut oil can be extremely beneficial to help receding gums to grow back.

How to apply: Place coconut oil into your mouth and swirl it around, for best results, do this for around 15 to 20 minutes.

A)  I'm going to my dentist tomorrow morning, marking the 2 year dentist visit since quitting.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous at all.  I mean, I'm nowhere near the anxiety levels I was at 2+ years ago, but there is still a tinge of concern there.  I don't really know why, except some deep, dark part of my brain says, "yeah, well, you can still develop cancer years after you've quit".  I don't actually know if that is true, but there is a voice in my head saying it anyway.

B) Cocunut oil = pseudoscience

• 1 year later...

Went to the Dentist this morning .... x-rays / cleaning / exam - the full monty .... Quit almost 3 years and this is my first visit to a civilian Dentist in forever   .... i told the DH that I had been a dipper and had avoided the dentist like the plague for almost 29 years 

Bottom line > no major gum issues / no cancer per the $20 cancer screen / 7 cavities / need a crown for a broken molar (been broke for over a year) / no soreness or major tenderness in the gums ..... overall - the DH and Dentist said not too bad - all things considering 

Going forward i will be a good patient and visit the dentist regularly > starting on Thursday when I have an appointment to fix the first 4 cavities

Related story > my young Dental Hygienist's husband is a dipper .... i gave her a hand full of QD cards .... one with my name and # on it for her hubby & the rest to pass out to other filthy addicts 

• Like 1
  • The Clap 4

Dentist visit #2 this afternoon .... 4 fillings on the left side - 3 top / 1 bottom ...... my face is still numb from my chin to the corner of my left eye ...... i just tried to eat and food keeps getting stuck on the left side between the gum and cheek  - i find it minutes after I swallow ..... I think someone just changed out my cup with a dribble glass

Im pathetic > Im drinking wine with a straw

I

• Like 2
  • HaHa 1

• 8 months later...

My wife is actually a dental hygienist. She cleans teeth for a living. She caught me dipping back in high school before she had even began to be interested in the career path. When she threatened to leave me I stopped for a long time. She knew I had history. I remember I was scheduled to go to her school and get my teeth cleaned about a month or two after I had started back up and was so scared she would catch me and break up with me over it that I came clean. She was mad but didn’t leave me. Since then going to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned didn’t bother me. I actually like it. It’s seeing the actual dentist that had me shaking. My wife actually would regularly look in my mouth at home. She even has tools at home. What scared me the most is that she would tell me that most guys that come in don’t even know they have cancer when they come in. She shares the news with them. Since being a part of this community, I realize that’s complete bullshit. I realize every time we go to the dentist, it’s nothing but fear and expecting the worst. She was helpful to have around though because every time I had a spot I was worried about she would take a look and was always reaffirming, but blunt about what could happen. Over the last couple of years it has become the unspoken understanding of our home. I was dipping but no one wanted to acknowledge it. Which forced me into ninja dipping and playing a waiting game where I either wised up or got cancer. Luckily I found you dudes and I’m not really worried about the dentist anymore. Looking forward to hearing some good news next time I go. 

3 hours ago, Neeson88 said:

I know I need to go to the dentist but scared shitless!

Gotta think: would you rather find out bad news now? Or later when it’s worse because you were scared? Be proactive. I was scared as shit when i first went a few weeks back because i had some spots. However i was fine, just overthinking it. I’ve been twice since i quit and it makes me feel great when everything looks good

• Like 1

My recent visit to the dentist was pretty good, due to the extensive damage to my gums from years of using that shit, I have to have my lower jaw shot up with novocaine when they do me, just because my gums are nearly non existent on a couple teeth, and I only go maybe once a year, so there is a lot of scraping and grinding. Being 930 days quit, I still wonder if the cancer will find me after all those years of chewing, but I don't really worry about it. If I get cancer it sucks, but I did it to myself so have no one to blame but myself. 

On 9/1/2018 at 8:31 AM, Neeson88 said:

Question- when my dentist checked for cancer last week he just felt my bottom lip neck and throat  with his hands. Is this common or is there another method? 

Were his pants on or off?

I think they look for the obvious, and feel for lymph node issues.  

Edited by 8meds
  • Like 2

tucked or untucked?

Based on my experience, that is normal. Ive gotten 2 cancer screenings a year for the past 8 years. They also would check sides and under the tongue thoroughly and the occasional biopsy.  Used to use a clean screening as justification for not quitting.  Completely irrational addict thinking.  Glad everything went smoothly brother.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My srory is pretty identical to Randy’s. I would slow down the dipping a day before just so I didn’t have a bunch of dead skin...and by slowing down I mean I’d have upper lippers a few times. after getting a clean bill of health and some really clean teeth, I’d throw in a monster fucking one in the dentist parking lot like all the anxiety I had walking in never happened. Sad. Fuck tobacco

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

strike off another trip to the dentist tonight .... cleaning and a cancer screen .... a couple minor cavities - but no big deal .... who would have thought I'd ever go to the dentist enough where he'd know my name and we'd bullshit about the kids ??? 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have an emergency dental visit tomorrow. My lower right, rear wisdom tooth fucking hurts like hell. The filling came out many moons ago and my dumbass didn’t do shit about it. I’m just going tomorrow for an X-ray and whatever else they do. Then, five days after that, I get the bitch extracted. It’ll be five days so I can go off my blood thinner so I don’t bleed to death. Wish me luck. 

• Like 1

The hardest part about this is having the switch blood thinners. I’m taking an injectable called Heparin before and after the procedure. It’s made from the intestinal mucous of a pig unlike the rat poison I normally take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BazookaJoe said:

The hardest part about this is having the switch blood thinners. I’m taking an injectable called Heparin before and after the procedure. It’s made from the intestinal mucous of a pig unlike the rat poison I normally take. 

What's her name?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

First post quit dentist visit took place this week.  I spent some time in this thread before hand, so I wasn't too wound up or worried about the cancer screen.  Still, I knew that as I was getting in the chair that I have a higher than most chance of hearing some bad news.  The dentist saw nothing of concern and said that my gums look healthy and congratulated me on my quit.  The cleaning was also pretty painless for the first time a almost a couple of decades.  Quitting dip gives you so much freedom...dental visits are one example that everyone can relate to.  

• Like 3
  • The Clap 2

• 3 weeks later...

My first cleaning since my quit and covid.  D.H. very excited that I've quit and visit went quick as always seeing I've been flossing  like a mofo for years thinking it would save me from anything the shit would do to me. Was told again on how healthy my gums were and to keep it up.  One thing I learned years ago. ..... Dont neglect your teeth,  go to the dentist !!! ----- fyi,  you can have healthy gums and have receding gums at the same time.  Been there and had the surgery. ---  Again,  go to the dentist

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 8:16 PM, Jock0 said:

My first cleaning since my quit and covid.  D.H. very excited that I've quit and visit went quick as always seeing I've been flossing  like a mofo for years thinking it would save me from anything the shit would do to me. Was told again on how healthy my gums were and to keep it up.  One thing I learned years ago. ..... Dont neglect your teeth,  go to the dentist !!! ----- fyi,  you can have healthy gums and have receding gums at the same time.  Been there and had the surgery. ---  Again,  go to the dentist

What does dh stand for here? 

• 8 months later...

I have a major surgery coming up in a couple weeks and one of the requirements is to get signed off by the dentist (no mouth infections) ... Its been a couple years (I blame covid) since i've been to the dentist and I told the dental hygienist my story ... bottom line is my teeth and gums are not as fucked up as you'd think for a dude that dipped for 29+ years    .....   life is good .. :dancing:

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

For a couple of years my dentist was also my father-in-law. Paid no money but felt like I spent everything after each visit.  Was a real head fuck each time I had an appointment. Fuck nicotine and fuck me for being too stupid to quit sooner after putting myself in that situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidekickd said:

For a couple of years my dentist was also my father-in-law. Paid no money but felt like I spent everything after each visit.  Was a real head fuck each time I had an appointment. Fuck nicotine and fuck me for being too stupid to quit sooner after putting myself in that situation.

At least you went.  I avoided the dentist pretty much the whole time I was dipping. 

6 hours ago, Sand said:

At least you went.  I avoided the dentist pretty much the whole time I was dipping. 

Same for me. Up until the point that I got married to someone who grew up prioritizing dental health. Kind of had to do it at that point.  

Good thing too because it probably saved me from another abscess. That was one of the most painful few days of my life up until it burst and I got some relief. Guess what the first thing I did once I had that relief?  I was such a fucking idiot.

Had a visit to the dentist yesterday. I grind my teeth in my sleep. I do have a mouth guard but I’ve been an idiot and either forget to wear it or I bitch about how it feels.  Anyway, my teeth are to the point that my dentist is really concerned that I’m going to end up with dentures in the future.

I’m pretty sure dipping was a lot of the reason my mouth guard was uncomfortable, sensitive gums and all. However, I wonder if grinding my teeth is related to dipping as well. I tend to hold a lot of stress in my jaw, is that something common to a lot of dippers? 

I guess it doesn’t really matter, I just need to make dental care a priority at this point.  Wasn’t really a thing in my head nearly a month ago when I quit, but I can add that as fuel to grow my quit.

I’m scared to death about having to get dentures. Take care of your fucking teeth, everybody!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just got back from the dentist. First visit in at least six years. And holy shit have things changed for the better. The Dr was very kind and proceded at my pace instead of rushing like crazy. 

I have a huge pile of old dentist stories, but I don't want to horify anyone. Just go, especially if it's been a while. 

Bonus, no cavities! 

• The Clap 5

Please fill in your quit date here.