Quitting Dip

Day 28

Guest Rubiryanjku

Guest Rubiryanjku

11am on April first, I had my last chew. No real reason. No planning. No tapering. Literally just had one in the morning, said I was gonna try and wait until 11pm for the next one and try and quit. 11pm came and I skipped it and didn't look back. I started in the summer, at summer camp, when I was like 16 or 17. I'm 41 now so it was back before there was big warnings on every can. I was just a stupid kid that got addicted before I had any real idea. My buddy, who ironically passed away a few years back from something totally unrelated, got me started. I was able to hide it from my parents all these years, so why tell them now, even though I am super proud of myself. I honestly don't think anyone but a cheer would understand how proud I am. My wife and daughter know that I've been quitting, that's about it though, so I figured I'd just share some of what's been going on, my fears, ups and downs, etc. Maybe someone else will find it useful. 

I quit cold turkey, but I have used some BacOff and Smokey Mountain to help. (and it really has helped even though it tastes like shit). My weight jumped from 168 to 179 (highest ever in my life). I've been trying to eat and snack healthier though and have came back down to 174 today. 

Cravings really haven't been that bad. Not nearly as bad as I thought. Honestly, side effects have been pretty minimal and a lot have been positive. Couple days of fog headed. When I chewed, it was about 5 cans a week, but I rechewed a lot (put the back, saved for later). This may have helped keep the nicotine down a bit. My sex drive has came back like an 18 year old. I seem to be feeling better overall but exhausted all the time. The constant throat clearing is getting better. Even my asthma has improved. Sleeping is fine but I have medicine to help with that. 

The worst part though, my mouth hurts. Just random spots that hurt for a day or so. I keep biting my cheeks and tongue. I don't have any major bad looking spots, luckily, but my anxiety is still through the roof that I've got something. I hate the dentist. Haven't been in years. My teeth are fucked. This is the part that eats at me the most. I see my doctor on day

Luckily, one big help, my doctor started me back on Lexapro for anxiety a couple weeks before I quit. I think this has helped a ton. Mentally, besides the anxiety, it's just been breaking the triggers. I work for myself from home, so I literally could chew all day, every day. Working. Showering. Driving. Talking. Cooking. Shiting. Everything was chewing. So I've been using gum, hard candies, zip ties, pens, hoodie strings ... Whatever I can to help keep me moving forward. The cravings still come, some days worse than others, but they don't last too long. Keep on pushing! 

3 hours ago, Guest Rubiryanjku said:

11am on April first, I had my last chew. No real reason. No planning. No tapering. Literally just had one in the morning, said I was gonna try and wait until 11pm for the next one and try and quit. 11pm came and I skipped it and didn't look back. I started in the summer, at summer camp, when I was like 16 or 17. I'm 41 now so it was back before there was big warnings on every can. I was just a stupid kid that got addicted before I had any real idea. My buddy, who ironically passed away a few years back from something totally unrelated, got me started. I was able to hide it from my parents all these years, so why tell them now, even though I am super proud of myself. I honestly don't think anyone but a cheer would understand how proud I am. My wife and daughter know that I've been quitting, that's about it though, so I figured I'd just share some of what's been going on, my fears, ups and downs, etc. Maybe someone else will find it useful. 

I quit cold turkey, but I have used some BacOff and Smokey Mountain to help. (and it really has helped even though it tastes like shit). My weight jumped from 168 to 179 (highest ever in my life). I've been trying to eat and snack healthier though and have came back down to 174 today. 

Cravings really haven't been that bad. Not nearly as bad as I thought. Honestly, side effects have been pretty minimal and a lot have been positive. Couple days of fog headed. When I chewed, it was about 5 cans a week, but I rechewed a lot (put the back, saved for later). This may have helped keep the nicotine down a bit. My sex drive has came back like an 18 year old. I seem to be feeling better overall but exhausted all the time. The constant throat clearing is getting better. Even my asthma has improved. Sleeping is fine but I have medicine to help with that. 

The worst part though, my mouth hurts. Just random spots that hurt for a day or so. I keep biting my cheeks and tongue. I don't have any major bad looking spots, luckily, but my anxiety is still through the roof that I've got something. I hate the dentist. Haven't been in years. My teeth are fucked. This is the part that eats at me the most. I see my doctor on day

Luckily, one big help, my doctor started me back on Lexapro for anxiety a couple weeks before I quit. I think this has helped a ton. Mentally, besides the anxiety, it's just been breaking the triggers. I work for myself from home, so I literally could chew all day, every day. Working. Showering. Driving. Talking. Cooking. Shiting. Everything was chewing. So I've been using gum, hard candies, zip ties, pens, hoodie strings ... Whatever I can to help keep me moving forward. The cravings still come, some days worse than others, but they don't last too long. Keep on pushing! 

Your story is our story. Rather than doing the lone ranger method we support each other here every day.

With support you will realize that beyond everything you've said above you also have integrity and are a badass that kicked nicotine to the curb for good.

We are also here to give you a heads up regarding some bumpy head trip times that seem to have come at many of us early on.

Every good thing you are experiencing is just the beginning. It'll just keep getting better as long as you don't give in to that sneaky ass guy that's been hiding his addiction from his parents his entire life. Why not tell them? Integrity, brotherhood, and no excuses.

Cold turkey is the way to go. 

Edited by monkey

Yup, this would be a good start to an intro. Sign up and it'll get added to your account. The site will help you immeasurably. If all you needed to do was find out you're experiencing normal shit, yes. Will being quit be much easier if you are with us, yes. Your call.

9 hours ago, Guest Rubiryanjku said:

This story is a story almost every user has had.  Going from a slave, to a free man ... but then having early pangs about the choice you made.  Stop with the thoughts that you're missing a friend.  Chew was no friend, it was a backstabbing POS that took from you at every turn.  These little thoughts are your inner addict talking to you, telling you to come back and try just one.

The mouth is surprisingly resilient ... and even more surprising how fast it can heal.  Obvi, stop biting your cheeks and tongue.  That should do wonders for mouth pain! :poke:

Create an account here, join a kick-ass support group.  We've all been EXACTLY where you are today.  Don't go through this quit feeling mostly alone, when you can have a team of quitters supporting you.  

• Like 2

Congratulations on your stoppage.  Unfortunately, it’s highly likely that you’ll be back to the can soon.  We all put up big stoppages in our slavery days.  I stopped for about 5 years once...then started dipping again because I could “handle it” and planned on ONLY dipping a couple times a year.  I was back to a can a day faster than I could say, “I suck cancer.”

When you’re past the mouth pain, when your teeth are all better, when you’re off the drugs for sleeping and anxiety, do you think you will be cured?

Come on back when you’re ready to quit.  I look forward to quitting with you.

• Like 2

Please fill in your quit date here.