Jump to content
Quitting Dip

Quit chew today. What's holding you back?


Owl
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Owl said:

My guess is you have a long list of reasons for why today is not the best day to quit chewing tobacco. I'm guessing that because I know I did. We all did.

Go ahead, list them all right here.  Type them out...

How about a list of all on the reasons I used to give for not quitting

- (end of the week) I'll quit monday, I can't properly relax and play video games/disc golf without dip 

- (Monday) work is too stressful, I'll quit next weekend when I'm more relaxed 

- I've got a week long vacation coming up, it'll be easy to quit then.  Might as well go full horseshoe until then. 

- new years is coming up. I'll make it my new years resolution

- what will I do when I'm driving to/from work? 

- what will I do after lunch? 

- how will I cope with the everyday stresses of life? 

 

If it isn't clear, my addiction always gave me a reason to put off my quit.  Then, wouldn't you know, it have me an equally good reason to ignore the fact that I'd passed my arbitrary deadline. 

Stresses of life are always there.  They don't go away until you die.  And the poison doesn't make it any easier, it simply makes it worse when you don't have it in you.  I think of it like an airplane.  You're flying good and level, and then the poison starts stealing the fuel going to your engine. Your engine starts to starve and the plane starts to crash.  Once you satisfy the poison, it let's the fuel flow free.  So you get into the habit of keeping that poison fed so your plane doesn't crash.  What you don't realize because you are so focused on keeping the poison satisfied is that were you to fly the rough engine performance for a little bit, the problem would fix itself and you wouldn't have to feed the poison anymore.  It's a parasite that feeds off of you and makes you feel like shit when you try to starve it. 

There is no better time than now.  Get mad. Get dedicated. Get quit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tyler said:

How about a list of all on the reasons I used to give for not quitting

- (end of the week) I'll quit monday, I can't properly relax and play video games/disc golf without dip 

- (Monday) work is too stressful, I'll quit next weekend when I'm more relaxed 

- I've got a week long vacation coming up, it'll be easy to quit then.  Might as well go full horseshoe until then. 

- new years is coming up. I'll make it my new years resolution

- what will I do when I'm driving to/from work? 

- what will I do after lunch? 

- how will I cope with the everyday stresses of life? 

 

If it isn't clear, my addiction always gave me a reason to put off my quit.  Then, wouldn't you know, it have me an equally good reason to ignore the fact that I'd passed my arbitrary deadline. 

Stresses of life are always there.  They don't go away until you die.  And the poison doesn't make it any easier, it simply makes it worse when you don't have it in you.  I think of it like an airplane.  You're flying good and level, and then the poison starts stealing the fuel going to your engine. Your engine starts to starve and the plane starts to crash.  Once you satisfy the poison, it let's the fuel flow free.  So you get into the habit of keeping that poison fed so your plane doesn't crash.  What you don't realize because you are so focused on keeping the poison satisfied is that were you to fly the rough engine performance for a little bit, the problem would fix itself and you wouldn't have to feed the poison anymore.  It's a parasite that feeds off of you and makes you feel like shit when you try to starve it. 

There is no better time than now.  Get mad. Get dedicated. Get quit. 

I’m out of town now but when I get home I’ll post my quitters manifesto I wrote the first week I quit.  I referred to it often 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend of mine switched from chew to vaping because he said it's safer and easier to quit.  Has anyone switched to vape and then quit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Guest name said:

A friend of mine switched from chew to vaping because he said it's safer and easier to quit.  Has anyone switched to vape and then quit?

Short answer is no. We don't quit nicotine by using other forms of nicotine. You would have to switch to zero-nicotine vape, and in my opinion it's neither safer nor easier to quit. Case in point, I am quit and your friend is not quit.

Edited by QuitSpeak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guest name said:

A friend of mine switched from chew to vaping because he said it's safer and easier to quit.  Has anyone switched to vape and then quit?

I switched to sunflower seeds and that helped with the oral fixation.  Once you choose to become quit it doesn’t take long for the nicotine to get out of your system.

If you use NRT or vape you will always be in withdrawal.  If you quit cold turkey, you nip it in the bud and are on the road to recovery.  Cold turkey is the safest way to go because you stop poisoning yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've tried quitting cold turkey.  The longest I've ever made it is a few hours.  I hear your point about nicotine being nicotine, no matter the form in which you ingest it, but at least the vape doesn't have all of the carcinogens that are in chew.

I looked around he site a little - still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that there are people who have been posting here for thousands of days.  That's awesome.  I'll admit it, day one is scary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Guest name said:

but at least the vape doesn't have all of the carcinogens that are in chew.

Just different ones, probably. 

Just now, Guest name said:

still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that there are people who have been posting here for thousands of days.  That's awesome. 

Yup

Just now, Guest name said:

I'll admit it, day one is scary.

Not when you're on day 2.

Just now, Guest name said:

I've tried quitting cold turkey.

You tried to white knuckle it. What were your reasons? Why weren't those reasons important a few hours later? 

Just now, Guest name said:

The longest I've ever made it is a few hours.

Try it again with a plan, and some advice/support. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Guest name said:

I've tried quitting cold turkey.  The longest I've ever made it is a few hours.

When you go it alone, it’s very easy to just grab the half can you threw away and toss one in.  There is no magic pill that makes everything easy.  The way I looked at it was I did this to myself and there is a price to pay.

I was mentally prepared to go through hell to become quit when I chose to actually do it.  I found the first couple days to be a shock to the system but it really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  

I found these guys and have been quit for over 4 years.  The only time I think about dip is when a new guy stops by.  You can do this if you really want.

When you join up you will have greater access to the site.  Once you choose to post on the scroll, all nicotine is off the table.  Hope to see you on the scroll.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Guest name said:

I've tried quitting cold turkey.  The longest I've ever made it is a few hours.  I hear your point about nicotine being nicotine, no matter the form in which you ingest it, but at least the vape doesn't have all of the carcinogens that are in chew.

I looked around he site a little - still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that there are people who have been posting here for thousands of days.  That's awesome.  I'll admit it, day one is scary.

I've tried to quit on my own dozens of time.  I always find a way to justify why a little more won't hurt.  Or why quitting that particular day won't work.  I had shitty reasons, no support, and no resolve.  

You first have to find out why you want to quit.  Hopefully, it is because you want to quit.  I made the mistake in the past, multiple times, of trying to quit for someone else.  That faded and I fell back into it.  Now, I've quit for myself, my health, my freedom, my choice... It is so much easier now.  

The second most important thing is to use the people here as a guiding light to help get through the hard shit. It'll be tough, no doubt about it. But we've all been through it to some degree or another and are proof that it can be done. 

Find your reason, get pissed off, and say fuck you to that shit.  Then, every time your mind wants to chew on poison, dive into this place to bolster your resolve.  Finally, tell everyone you know that you are quit and that you expect them to hold you accountable to the promise you make to yourself daily.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vaping is for assholes. 

It's a game right? As long as the method allows you to continue to consume your drug of choice.

There will always be someone out to sell you a method of quit that involves weaning off while simultaneously putting money in to their pocket. Of course vaping is less evil, it's tastes like mangoes and papaya and bubble gum. Wake up! This is an addiction and the only way you are going to quit feeding it is to stop feeding it. Fuck...the excuses we addicts make.

You know what, cold turkey sucks cause you have to find your guts, integrity, and nutsack to get through it. So which part is harder? The chemical withdrawal or reaching down and finding your sank?

Each one of us was given the gift of desperation and a desire to overcome this shitty addiction.

When you are ready to find yours we are here. I started at day one, found my sack, now I'm at almost 1500. Start now and you will say the same thing 1500 days from now. Don't start now and you will likely still be stuffing your lip with excuses in 1500 days. Decide and do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I've read some on the site and just signed up. 

I'm tired of living as a slave and ready to turn the page to a new chapter, however I'm scared as hell of what's to come. I've been addicted to this shit off and on for almost 30 years. I've quit a number of times, from a few days, to 5 years at one point. I'm ready to make it permanent. The question I'm struggling with is when to start.

I'm at work right now contemplating throwing a dip in so I can get some shit done. I really need to rewire my brain so I don't feel I need dip to be productive. It's going to be tough...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JR4 said:

Okay, I've read some on the site and just signed up. 

I'm tired of living as a slave and ready to turn the page to a new chapter, however I'm scared as hell of what's to come. I've been addicted to this shit off and on for almost 30 years. I've quit a number of times, from a few days, to 5 years at one point. I'm ready to make it permanent. The question I'm struggling with is when to start.

I'm at work right now contemplating throwing a dip in so I can get some shit done. I really need to rewire my brain so I don't feel I need dip to be productive. It's going to be tough...

Good to see you on the scroll, so you don't have to sit around with that internal debate about whether to chew or not today. That debate, one foot in and one foot out, is what makes stopping so difficult. Burn the fucking boats, say "NO MORE FUCKING DIP" "FUCK DIP" "FUCK OFF DIP" and any other variation you can think of, and feel like a quitter. Wait you already said all that when you said "DAY 1"

Don't be scared. You've never quit before. This is easy if you stop waffling. You have a few uncomfortable days ahead, then pure freedom. 

Get hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JR4, good to see you post up a day 1.  Near the end of the week is a great time to get your shit together.  By Monday morning you’ll be a new person.  Actually the day any addict decides to post their day 1 is a fantastic day.  Start an intro and log all your thoughts and chronicle your achievements.  You can do this.  We all have had our own day 1 and are now quit.  

Just keep reading what you can and buy in.  It’s up to you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks man. I've been here before, but forgot how bad it sucks! I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can bury myself in work at home that isn't as big of a trigger as when I'm at the office. I'm chugging water and chewing 3 pieces of gum and the people in the office must think I'm a lunatic (at least more so than usual ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JR4 said:

Thanks man. I've been here before, but forgot how bad it sucks! I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can bury myself in work at home that isn't as big of a trigger as when I'm at the office. I'm chugging water and chewing 3 pieces of gum and the people in the office must think I'm a lunatic (at least more so than usual ;)

Keep yourself distracted, and when it fights back, get pissed off.  I would let the internal outrage of knowing that that poisonous shit was trying to continue to control my actions and life burn the addiction. I found it hard to want something when the thought of what it was doing to me made me so damn angry. 

That, and use this place as a beacon to guide you.  Reach out to the people on here if you need someone to talk to. Knowing that there were dozens of people on here that have gone through the same exact shit took away some of the fear.  You can get through it, and the site will show you how. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vaping is just another excuse.  

You're making excuses for your master Nicotine who has been taking advantage of you.  You're allowing nicotine to be that pimp who makes you feel better about yourself because vaping isn't as bad as dip, while Nicotine really knows he's still in control.  

All it takes to break those chains is courage to say you're not a slave and the backbone to mean it and stick to your word.

The choice of slavery is yours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please fill in your quit date here.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...